A trip to Washington DC would not be complete without a visit to the White House.
We tried to get tickets for a White House tour through our representative’s office but were apparently too late for the spring rush on visiting Washington. So doing a walk by would have to suffice.
While I was standing in front of the fence taking pictures of the White House along with several hundred other tourists, I wondered to myself why I was doing it. I seldom, if ever, take the “usual” sorts of images in tourist locations.
Then I thought of my new project doing portraits of people’s homes. This would be the ultimate home portrait – the White House!
It was fun and a good way to practice my skills, as each image presents it’s own challenges.
Like the post from a few weeks ago, Makeover Story: Portrait of a Cozy Cottage, I thought I would share with you the steps involved in creating this home portrait of the White House.
- For this image, I wanted to capture as much of the landscaping on either side, so that I could make decisions later about what to include or not. So I took three images, as you see below.
- In Adobe Photoshop, I merged those three to make one image that included the whole wide view of the house and the landscaping.
- I added to the sky to give more space above the house and the one tall tree.
- The image was cropped to make an interesting composition.
- There were quite a few distracting elements that needed to be removed, a green golf cart, some blue things (no idea what they were), some spot lights, a person walking down the front left steps, and a few other small items. I use a variety of tools and techniques based on the specific element and what is around it in the image.
- There was a long row of spent tulips in front of the hedge, between the red tulips currently blooming. I decided to paint in red tulips over the spent ones so they became a focal point that frames the house.
- I love cloudless skies, except in a painting. So I painted in some clouds, just enough to balance out the image.
- After that, it needed some contrast and brightness and extra color painted in on the shrubs, trees, and flowers. Some overall adjustments to contrast and color were also done.